A fire destroying the home of Tamela Bobbish and family is the second fire in Chisasibi within the past two months where the families involved lost everything.

According to the Bobbish family, one of their children was playing with matches in the basement at the time the fire started on Friday, March 28 at around 11 am.

All of the residents at 106 Wachiya Rd. managed to get out of the building without injury.

Chisasibi Fire Chief Archie Moar said the fire was in full force by the time the family was alerted by the smoke detector. “When a fire starts in the basement,” he said “it goes up fast because the supports for the main floor are exposed.”

Family members did not have time to put on their shoes, before they ran out of the building.

“This is a prime example that smoke detectors do save lives,” said Moar.

For those wishing to donate money, clothing or other household items to Tamela Bobbish and her family, they can contact the Anglican Church of Eeyou Istchee at 819-855-3480, and speak to Church Treasurer Jimmy Fireman.