Nishnawbe-Aski Police received a call the evening of July 9 informing them that an eight-year-old boy had been electrocuted.

Jayden Lazarus had entered a transformer area by passing under the surrounding fence that was surrounding it. He had made contact with a cable that carried a charge of approximately 135,000 volts.

He was sent to the Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto.

“He is still in the hospital and he is still in a serious yet stable condition,” Sergeant Bob Baxter of the Nishnawbe-Aski Police told the Nation.

As for how easy it was for the boy to enter the fenced area, Sgt. Baxter could not comment but did say he is “sure the community will do something to make the area more secure.”