On Sunday, June 15, at 12:30 in the morning, five teenagers, between the ages of 13 and 18, were injured following an incident involving a propane explosion in Nemaska.
Some of them were sniffing propane which led to the devastating explosion after it was ignited by the flame of a lighter. The Surete du Quebec from Matagami who investigated the scene determined that the incident was accidental and not criminal. Both Nemaska Chief of Police Kelly Marchand and Matagami SQ Sergeant Cotton refused to comment on the investigation.
All five victims were sent to the Montreal Children’s Hospital. One is still being treated in hospital while the others have been released and are currently staying in a nearby hotel. All are expected to stay in Montreal for the next two weeks for follow-up treatment.
A public notice released by the Council of the Cree Nation of Nemaska emphasized how the public must react. “We cannot stress enough the importance of reporting any suspicious or unusual activity in your neighbourhood. Let’s work together to make our community a safer place for our people,” it stated.