I don’t think there is a culture on this planet that doesn’t honour their mothers. Though the modern Mother’s Day is relatively new, hundreds of years ago both the Greeks and the Romans had festivals honouring motherhood.
It is only in the past few generations that men have been part of the birthing process. Of course every man has been present for at least one birth… his own.
Myself, I have been present at the birth of both of my sons (no daughters yet!). I have nothing but awe at what mothers go through to have children. It has also given me an idea of the closeness mothers feel for their children.
We all know what mothers feel and go through raising their children. They are the most forgiving people on the planet. It seems no matter what you do your mother still loves you and wants the best for you. They give far more than they receive and most times we do not even realize that.
Most babies’ first words are mama or a variation of that. But there are different ways to say you’re a mother on your resume according to The Stir website:
- Household CEO
- Masters & PhD in Patience
- Familial Law Enforcer
- Non-TV Activity Coordinator
- English Language Educator
- Playground Medic
- President of Waste Management
- Fast Food Chef
- Tantrum & Meltdown Negotiator
- Search & Rescue: Small Plastic Pieces Unit
- Chief Monster Hunter
- College Application Adviser
- Doll Doctor
- Archaeologist Specializing in Under Bed and Inside Closet Digs
- Teen Sex Counsellor
- Spiritual Leader
- Backyard Safety Commissioner
- Toy Repair Specialist
- Art Critic
- Philanthropist for Little People’s Arts & Music
- Teenage Dating Expert
- Chief Drug Counsellor
- Anger Management Specialist
- Toddler Tantrum Wrestling Champ
- Play date Social Secretary
- CEO, Department of Make Believe
- Manners Expert
- Personal Shopper
- Fashion Stylist & Consultant
- Professor, Imagination Studies
- Sleep Scientist (work mostly night shifts)
- Teen Angst Psychoanalyst
- Captain, Soccer Mom Cheerleading Squad
- Dental Hygienist
- Tooth Brushing Instructor
- Keeper of Top Secret Secrets (pinkie swear!)
- Personal Chauffeur & Expert Driver
- Hairstylist (specializing in pigtails and wiggly clients)
- Birthday Party Planner
- President of (Insert Your Kid’s Name Here) Fan Club
All are valid as mothers do so many things and more. We should all be grateful for the role that mothers play in our lives – all year long.
Mom, I love you and am thankful for what you have done to make me the person I am today. To my wife Amy, thank you for being the mother you are to Hunter.
To all mothers have a very happy Mother’s Day. You deserve it! We should all make sure it is a special day for the mothers in our lives.