Four Chisasibi families who lost everything in a fire February 1 are still accepting donations through the Anglican Church of Eeyou Istchee.

Chisasibi’s Assistant Fire Chief, Morris Napash, confirmed the blaze was caused by a seized motor in the ventilation system of one of the apartments on the road behind the James Bay Eeyou School. The fire started between the walls of the building, making it difficult to put out.

Firefighters had to wait until the fire crept into the attic and burst through the roof before they could begin their work.

No one was hurt in the blaze, but the homes and their contents were destroyed by the flames and water damage.

The Anglican Church in Chisasibi held several fundraisers and is still accepting donations on behalf of the four families affected.

Chisasibi Housing Director Jeffrey Kitty says that new housing units have been found and cleaned up for all the four families involved.

Anyone wishing to donate money for the families can make cheques payable to the Anglican Church of Eeyou Istchee, and indicate that the funds are for the fire victims.

Church Treasurer Jimmy R. Fireman indicated that all money received will be divided equally between the four families.